Things to see and doHolidaying Ideas to suit everyone!
Beside Kilcloon Cottages ( book on arrival) . Running through Christmas, Easter, Mid Term and July and August.
Each camp runs Tuesday to Friday from 10am to 4pm. Suitable for children aged 4+ ( no experience required)
Camp entials 2 lessons per day, Lectures, Quizzes, Gymkana & show at the end of the week with BBQ!. All parents welcome to attend.
Showjumping boot-camp will also run on specific dates
- Carton House Golf Club (Carton House, Maynooth – 6km from your cottage!)
Has 2 championship golf courses
Phone: 01 6517720
- The K Club, Straffon (Co Kildare -14km from your cottage!)
Has two of Europes finest Champioship Courses and Host to The Ryder Cup and 13 European Opens.
Phone: 01 6017200
- Kileen Castle (Dunsany Co Meath -18km from your cottage!).
The 2011 Solheim Cup and the Irish Ladies open was held here at Kileen Castle the first time Ireland hosted this event.
- Portmarnock Golf Club (36km from your cottage!)
Within a picturesque curve of coastline sitting majestically on a narrow tongue of shallow duneland, as a measure of its enduring quality, it remains one of the most respected venues in world golf.
- Fairyhouse and Tattersalls (Ratoath Co Meath – 9km from your cottage!)
Home to the Irish Grand National and race meetings.
Phone: 01 8256167
- Leopardstown Racecourse (Foxrock, Co Dublin – 40km from your cottage!)
Phone: 01 2890500
- Curragh Racecourse (Co Kildare – 42km from your cottage!)
Home to the Irish Derby.
Phone: 045 441205
- Galway Races (Ballybrit, Co Galway – 185km from your cottage!)
The Galway races is an Irish horse racing festival held every year that starts on the last Monday of July every Year.
Phone: 091 753870
- Lyreen Angling Centre (Old Dunboyne Road, Maynooth – 6km from your cottage!)
The fishery consists of 3 lakes and has access to two rivers the Lyreen and the Rye.
Phone: 087 2101698 / 0876103804
- National Aquatic Centre (Snugborough Road, Dublin 15 – 20km from your cottage!)
open daily and fun for all the family especially on those rainy days.
Phone: 01 6464300
For all those who love to peel back the layers of time. Irelands Ancient East is a wonderful opportunity to experience and Kilcoon Cottages is the perfect location to start and end your day from. For further information please visit www.failteireland.ie
- Newgrange Heritage Site (Donore, Co Meath – 45km from your cottage!)
Newgrange in the Boyne Valley is a 5000 years old passage tomb famous for it the Winter Solstice illumination.
Phone: 041 9880300
- Trim Castle (Trim, Co Meath – 25km from your cottage!)
On the bank of the River Boyne the Castle is the remains of Irelands largest Anglo Norman Castle.
For further information and tours
Phone: 046 9438619
- Hill of Tara (Co Meath – 25km from your cottage!)
The seat of the High Kings of Ireland and an important site since the late Stone age when a passage tomb was constructed there.
- Tayto Park (Kilbrew, Ashbourne, Co Meath – 20km from your cottage!)
A theme park with lots to see and do, including the Eagle Sky Adventure zone and Europes largest wooden rollercoaster The Cu Chulainn Coaster.
Phone: 01 8351999 for further information
- Base (Maynooth Road, Celbridge, Co Kildare – 10km from your cottage!)
Fun for young ones and teens, one of the largest soft ball play areas in Ireland, Laser tag and Bowling, with more fun and café.
Phone: 01 6544264
- The Irish National Stud and Japanese Gardens (Tully, Co Kildare – 50km from your cottage!)
Is a thoroughbred horse breeding facility, from horses to horticulture can be enjoyed at your own leisure or as part of a guided tour.
Phone: 045 521617
- Newbridge Silverware (Newbridge, Co Kildare – 45km from your cottage!)
An Irish owned design and manufacturer of Cutlery Jewellery Silverware and Giftware.
Phone: 045 431301
- Fort Lucan Outdoor Adventureland (Westmanstown, Lucan, Dublin – 13km from your cottage!)
Fort Lucan is a fully supervised outdoor adventure playground for children aged 2 – 12 years.
Phone: 01 6280166
- Dublin Zoo (Phoenix Park, Dublin 8 – 25km from your cottage!)
A family favourite and full day out, Dublin Zoo was first opened in 1831 and there are still some parts of the zoo that date back to the very beginning.
Phone: 01 4748900
- Rathbeggan Lakes (Dunshaughlin, Co Meath – 12km from your cottage!)
Something for all the family here, Abseiling, Bungee Trampoline, Wall climbing, Fairy Garden, Playgrounds, Water Rolling, Pedal Boats and so much more.
Phone: 01 8240197
- Puddenhill Activity Centre (Garristown, Co Meath – 26km from your cottage!)
A fantastic indoor and outdoor activity centre, with such a diverse range of activities including, Karting, Paintballing, Archery, Laser Clay Pigeon Shooting, Laser Tag Pinball, Soft Ball Area and Café.
Phone: 01 8354444
- Cinema / Shopping Centres
The Capital city of Ireland so much to see and do and not enough time to do it all: www.visitdublin.com
- The Guinness Storehouse,
- The book of Kells in Trinity College,
- The National Gallery of Ireland,
- National Botanic Gardens,
- St Patrick’s Cathedral,
- National Museum of Ireland Archaeology,
- Science Gallery at Trinity College,
- Farmleigh House.
Best of the rest
- Number 29 Georgian House Museum,
- Kilmainham Jail,
- Irish Museum of Modern Art,
- Chester Beatty Library,
- National Museum of Ireland,
- Old Jameson Distillery,
- Dublin Castle,
- Christ Church Cathedral.
- Gaiety Theatre,
- Abbey Theatre,
- Olympia Theatre,
- Bord Gais Energy Theatre,
- Tivoli Theatre,
- The Helix,
- Smock Alley Theatre,
- The Three Arena.
Something for all ages young and old nearby to Kilcloon Cottages
Walking & Cycling Trails
- Donadea Forest Park Managed by Coillte (30 minutes from Kilcloon Cottages)
The Irish Forestry service the park was home to the Anglo – Norman Aylmer family who occupied the castle (now in ruins) from 1550 to 1935. The castle, church, walled garden, ice house and lake are set in over 250 hectares of parkland. Nature trails, walks, and a café make it a superb amenity for a family day out, ideal for the young and old. The forest park also contains the 9/11 Memorial.
- The Royal Canal Way (25 minutes from Kilcloon Cottages)
Is for those who are seeking a more challenging then leisurely walk, hike or cycle choose your route and plan your journey along the Royal Canal Way, Kilcloon Cottages are ideally based to choose your starting point, the Royal Canal Way covering counties Dublin, Kildare, Meath, Longford and Westmeath. See www.irishtrails.ie for further information.
- The Grand Canal Way (30 minutes from Kilcloon Cottages)
Suitable walk for all ages. Walk from Sallins to Digby Bridge. This walk provides an interesting opportunity to sample the Grand Canal Way. The Leinster Aqueduct that carries the canal over the river Liffey is a highlight of the walk. The route passes through attractive rural scenes and by a number of the canal heritage of Ireland. See www.walks.iwai.ie or www.waterwaysireland.ie.
- Phoenix Park (25minutes from Kilcloon Cottages)
Is an Urban Park in Dublin, lying 2 – 4 km west of the city centre, north of the river Liffey. Its 11km perimeter wall encloses 707 hectares, one of the largest walled parks in Europe Young and old will enjoy hours of walking and cycling here. See www.phoenixpark.ie.
Horse Trekking / Outdoor Adventure
- Abbeyfield Farm Country Pursuits (25 minutes from Kilcloon Cottages)
Ideal for Horse Trekking, Clay Pigeon shooting, Archery, Air Rifle Shooting, Team Building, Morale Events and Outdoor Adventure Enthusiasts. See www.abbeyfieldfarm.com.